The Municipality of Rome covers an area of 1,285 km2 (one of the largest municipal areas in Europe) and has a (registered) resident population of around 2.7 million citizens. Roma Capitale provides all public services to its citizens with about 28.000 employees that are dedicated to all the strategic areas such as: education, mobility, infrastructure, waste collection and public parks environment, housing, cultural activities and tourism, finance, taxes, municipal police, health, support to SMEs etc.
The Department of Mobility and Transport Policies of Roma Capitale has the following mission:
- To ensure the development and implementation of mobility in the Capital according to the strategies of the Municipality of Rome, with the elaboration of policies, plans and projects of intervention.
- To supervise the deployment of policies and planning, such as traffic, transportation, logistic, and overall urban mobility plan.
- To promote the harmonization of urban planning and mobility, with respect to the new PRG (General Urban Master Plan) and Strategic Urban Sustainable Mobility Plan 2020.
- To direct, coordinate and supervise the planning of public transport and mobility services performed by PT Operators with specific service contracts.
- To ensure the coordinated effort with the Councillorship for Mobility and the City Boroughs for mobility planning.
- To manage service contracts for public transport, private mobility and other activities of competence (design - implementation) with the companies ATAC SpA, Roma Servizi per la Mobilità (RSM) and Roma Metropolitane SpA.
- To plan and activate mobility projects and sustainable mobility initiatives co-financed by the Ministry of Environment.
Within SMARTSET, the direct involvement of the Mobility Department allowed to fully integrate the project activities within the wider mobility plans (e.g. with special reference to the implementation of pedestrian areas to be served by the freight terminal), to steer the freight policies (i.e. regulation and incentives) according to project results and to directly involve the political decision makers in such a sensitive sector.